Skip to main content

Rhode Island Lodge Buildings

1 Guest


Rhode Island Soldiers Home Monument, Bristol RI


Contractor: Smith Granite Company
Material: Blue Westerly Granite
Cost: $5,000
Date Ordered: December 1901
Date Shipped: May 10, 1902
Sculptor: Edward Pausch

Features: Full-length figure of a Union Army flag bearer stands atop a tall cylindrical column on an octagonal base. The figure is in full uniform and holds the flag at his proper left side. The column has ornate foliage carvings towards the top, a girding band of decorative frieze near the middle and moldings at the base. (Above info from the Babcock-Smith House Museum in Westerly, RI)

Brother Edward Ludwig Albert Pausch a member of Franklin Lodge No. 20, was born September 30,1856 in Copenhagen, Denmark. His family emigrated to Hartford, Connecticut when he was young. He was Initiated on November 8, 1892, passed November 15,1892, raised November 22, 1892, admitted November 29, 1892. Brother Pausch served the lodge as Junior Deacon from 1898 to 1902.

Brother Pausch was a Danish-American sculptor who specialized in war memorials. At one time, he worked for the Smith Granite Company in Westerly, RI. While working for Smith Granite Company, his most noted work was the George Washington Equestrian Memorial located in Pittsburgh, PA. Brother Pausch was credited with 13 of the over 79 monuments made by Smith Granite Company for the Gettysburg Battlefield, Chickamauga, Chattanooga National Military Park, and the Antietam Battlefield. More information on the works and life of Edward Ludwig Albert Pausch can be found on the internet at: (

Charity Lodge No. 23


The first meeting U.D. was held December 28, 1865 in a room at Mechanics Lodge of I.O.O.F. in Hope Valley which also served as the lodge’s first home


In the Fall of 1867, a larger hall was fitted up in John G. Arnold’s new block, expressly for the accommodation of Charity Lodge.


In the winter of 1877-78, W∴ G.E. Green erected a new building for business purposes. The second story was conveniently fitted up and leased to the lodge for a term of years, the possession was given February 1, 1878 and remained the home of Charity Lodge until the current lodge building was erected in Kenyon in 1973.


By W∴Ray Geer. PM